Sunday, April 26, 2009

Plant a Vegetable Garden

I heard a lot from folks this past week about what they did to celebrate Earth Day (week). Some planted a tree. Others participated in Earth Day celebrations with speakers, booths, and locally grown food. Some celebrated at central Wisconsin’s Prairie Chicken Festival. Still others took time to read from A Sand County Almanac (Aldo Leopold’s classic book). Or they spent some time with Bill Christofferson’s biography of Gaylord Nelson, The Man from Clear Lake: Earth Day Founder.

I celebrated Earth Day by working up my garden and planting the early crops. My son, Steve and I planted five long rows of potatoes, a row of peas, half a row of radishes with carrots, a few feet of lettuce, some more feet of spinach, and several feet of beets. I’ll plant more in mid-May, and still more by the end of May. A frosty night in late May will often kill off my tomato plants, so I wait. Patiently I wait until the end of the month to set out the frost fragile plants and complete the planting.

We planted on Friday, and the rains came on Saturday. Great timing. Today, Sunday, my grandsons, Ben and Josh Horman and I put a fence around the garden. Nothing to eat there yet. But the deer, turkeys, raccoons, rabbits and assorted other critters (can you say ground hog) know about my garden. And they patiently wait as well.


THE OLD TIMER SAYS: To become truly close to the earth, in more ways than you could ever imagine, plant a garden.


UPCOMING EVENTS:


April 27, 6:30 P.M. Lake Geneva Public Library. Old Farm: A History.

May 1, 9:30 A.M. WEAC-Retired, Sheraton Hotel, Madison. Stories From the Land.

May 6, 7:00 P.M. Albertson Memorial Library, Albany, WI. Old Farm: A History.

May 7, 10:30 A.M. Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries Convention. Glacier Canyon Lodge at Wilderness Way, Wisconsin Dells. Old Farm: A history.

May 13, 7:00 P.M. Hartford Public Library, Hartford. Old Farm: A History.

May 16, 10:30 A.M. – 2:30 P.M. Dregne Gift Shop, Westby. Old Farm: A History

May 19, 7:00 P.M. Book Vault, Oskaloosa, Iowa. Old Farm: A History, In a Pickle and more.

No comments: