Saturday, April 02, 2011

Strawberries

I uncovered my strawberry bed today, if you can call six plants a bed. They have been waiting out the winter tucked under a warm cover of maple leaves that I piled on them last fall.

My strawberry plants (I have a variety called Cabot that was developed in Canada), appeared bewildered as they once more saw the sun, plus a little bedraggled and winter worn. But they were green as summer, and most importantly, alive. A welcome sight they are, with memories of lush fresh fruit in a couple months or so depending on what kind of spring we have (so far it’s been a bust with an inch of wet snow on April Fool’s day).

California and Florida ship tons of strawberries to Wisconsin, but nothing beats the taste of homegrown berries, and especially those I grow myself. I cheat a bit. I planted my strawberries in the flowerbed in front of my house in town. The strawberries don’t seem to mind, in fact, with a little competition from daylilies, mums, and dahlias, the strawberries thrive, even a little too much. If given a choice they surely would take over the entire flowerbed. It wouldn’t be all bad. I’ve never much cared for the taste of mums and dahlias. Someone once said daylilies make a good salad. I’ll stick with fresh strawberries.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: Don’t let April fool you; it will try. Spring is out there—At least I think so.

CHECK THIS OUT: The Mead Public Library in Sheboygan has selected my book, OLD FARM, for their Sheboygan Reads program. On Saturday, April 9, at 9:30 a.m., I will be reading from the book and answering questions. We will meet in the Quiet Study Room at the library. Hope to see you there.

Tuesday, April 5, 6:00 p.m. Salem Public Library, Salem, WI (Stories from the Land)

Saturday, April 9, 9:30 a.m. Mead Public Library, Sheboygan. (Old Farm)

April 9, 1:30-4:00 p.m. Mead Public Library, Sheboygan Writing Workshop. Call 920-459-3400, ext. 3422 for reservations.

Tuesday, April 12, 7:00 p.m., Fall Creek Library (Horses and Barns)

Thursday, April 14, 6:30 p.m. Marathon County Library, 300 N. First Street, Wausau. (Horses and Barns)

Friday, April 15, 1:00 p.m. Kaukauna Public Library (Fox Cities Book Festival. Horses and Barns)

Saturday, April 16, Wild Rose High School Centennial Program

Tuesday, April 19, Sturm Public Library, Manawa, 7:00 p.m. In a Pickle. A rescheduled program.

No comments: