Friday, April 27, 2012

Garden Report


 You’ll recall that I planted some of my early crop vegetables back in March, when spring abruptly replaced winter and acted like summer for several days.

So far my experiment worked, mostly anyway.  The radishes, carrots, beets, onions, peas and lettuce are all up and doing fairly well, considering too many mornings with temps in the 20s.  Alas, I’m still waiting for the early potatoes to appear.  It’s been more than month, and I should see some potato life.  I’ll wait a few more days before I become concerned.

This weekend the fence goes up—these early crops will soon be discovered by our resident deer and wild turkeys.  And I’ll plant a couple of rows of sweet corn.  It’s probably too early to plant sweet corn, but I’ll give it a try.

My indoor plants, cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli and five different varieties of tomatoes have become leggy and overgrown with too little bright sunshine—I’ve only had them outside for a couple days and then had to drag them in with reports of frosty mornings.  I may have to repot them.  I don’t plan on setting out any of this tender stuff in the garden until late May.

Like every year, gardening has its challenges.  But that’s one of the reasons I keep doing it.  Each year offers something new, something different.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: Want a challenge that’s also great fun.  Start a vegetable garden.

UPCOMING EVENTS:
April 29, 2:00 p.m. Lucille Tack Center for the Arts, Spencer, WI. I will be discussing my Ames County series of novels: THE TRAVELS OF INCREASE JOSEPH, BLUE SHADOWS FARM, IN A PICKLE and CRANBERRY RED. Free to the public.

May 3, 7:00 p.m. New Glarus High School. Town of New Glarus Parks.  Barns of Wisconsin.

May 7, 7:00 p.m. Cultural Center, Cedarburg, Ozaukee County Historical Society.  Barns of Wisconsin.

May 19, 1-4:00 p.m. Old World Wisconsin. Book signing. Garden Wisdom, Barns  of Wisconsin, Horse Drawn Days.

May 20, 9:15 a.m., Adult Education, Midvale Lutheran Church, Madison. Garden Wisdom

May 20, 7:00 p.m. Lebanon Historical Society, Lebanon. Barns of Wisconsin.








May 20, 9:15 a.m. Midvale Community Lutheran Church, Adult Education.

No comments: