Monday, November 24, 2014

Deer Season 2014


Last Saturday was opening day of deer gun season.  My 69th year, without missing a year, even made it when I was in the army.

I sat where my father sat the last year he hunted deer.  It was 1992 and he was 92.  As I sat and waited, and looked and listened I could still hear my father’s words.  “You’ve got to be patient, and you’ve got to be quiet.”

Although my dad didn’t talk about it, deer hunting for him, as it is for me, is much more than the hunt.  It is about tradition and it is about family.   In addition to myself, and my son, this year’s hunting crew included my brother and his three sons. For us deer hunting is a time for storytelling and good food, and being outdoors on a chilly November morning and enjoying the sights and sounds   It is also a time for remembering as I sat where my father sat 22 years ago, he with his 30-30 Savage rifle on his lap, me with my 30-30 Winchester rifle on my lap.  He would be pleased to know that his sons and grandsons are carrying on the tradition.

HE OLD TIMER SAYS:   Deer season is much more than hunting deer.
December 3, 7:00 p.m.  Live on Milwaukee Public TV.  A Farm Winter.

December 7, 1:00-2:15 and 2:30-3:15 Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells (Two sessions) Wis Farm Bureau Meeting. Writing From Your Life for Children and Grandchildren.

December 8, 8:00 p. m.  Live on Twin Cities Public TV.  A Farm Winter.

December 13, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Barnes and Noble, La Crosse.  Book Signing.

January 28, 2015 7:00 p.m. Stoughton Opera House.  A Farm Winter.

Purchase Jerry’s DVDS and his Books from the Patterson Memorial Library in Wild Rose, Wisconsin (a fund raiser for them): Patterson Memorial Library


The library now has available both of Jerry’s DVDs, Emmy Winner, A Farm Winter with Jerry Apps and Jerry Apps A Farm Story.
Also available are several of Jerry’s book including The Quiet Season (on which the DVD A Farm Winter is based), as well as Rural Wit and Wisdom and Old Farm, (which are related to the DVD Jerry Apps a Farm Story). Also available is Jerry’s new novel, The Great Sand Fracas of Ames County.
Contact the library for prices and special package deals.
Patterson Memorial Library
50 Division St.

Wild Rose, WI 54984
barnard@wildroselibrary.org
www.wildroselibrary.org
920-622-3835

1 comment:

Kay said...

You've got it so right, Jerry. Neat that we both carried a 30/30 Winchester! Please keep writing! I love your blogs.