Friday, August 30, 2019

First Day of School




My one-room school, west of Wild Rose, long closed. Photo by Jerry Apps.

With schools starting, I remember my first day of school years ago. There was no kindergarten, so I was destined for first grade. I had just turned five in July. I stood by our dusty country road waiting for the neighbor boy, Mike Korleski to come by. He was in sixth grade, and my mother had talked with his mother and asked if Jerry could walk with Mike to school... I stood with my lard pail lunch bucket, two new yellow pencils and a five-cent pad of writing paper, waiting for Mike. Finally, he appeared and we began walking toward the school.

Elderberries hung heavy along the road, which was heavily shaded with elm and oak trees. As we walked along, we watched a squirrel scamper up an oak tree. We saw goldenrods’ yellow heads hanging over the road. Mike was more interested in these things than I was. My thoughts were all about school and what it would be like. What other kids I would meet, and would I be able to learn all that kids were supposed to learn?

When we got to the top of Miller’s hill, we heard the school bell ringing, echoing down the valley and rolling up the hills that surrounded the school. Mike told me we had to hurry for that was the eight-thirty bell and we didn’t want to be late. Once there, Mike pulled the big schoolhouse door open for me and I entered. My life would be changed forever.

THE OLD-TIMER SAYS: So much was learned at the one-room country school that was not in books.

ANOTHER WRITING OPPORTUNITY:

WHAT: A “Telling Your Story Workshop”
WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019—9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
WHERE: Wyocena Community Center, Wyocena, WI
REGISTRATION INFORMATION: Contact Wyocena Library (608-429-4899) or Portage Public Library (608-742-4959)
Workshop fee includes a copy of my book, “Telling Your Story,” and a catered lunch.
Sign up soon, limited seats available.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

September 12, 7:00 p.m. Belleville H.S. Auditorium, Belleville. “Simple Things: Lessons From the Family Farm.”

September 18, 9-4 Writing Workshop, Wyocena Public Library, Wyocena (see above for details)

September 20, 12:30 p.m. UW-Platteville, Baraboo Campus, 1006 Connie Rd., Baraboo, WI. “History of WI Agriculture”

October 5, 10-2:00 p.m. Dregne’s, Westby. Book signing.

October 12 1:00 p.m., Fox Cities Book Festival, Menasha Public Library

October 22, 6;30 Sun Prairie Public Library, Sun Prairie, WI

October 24, 1:00 p.m. Friends of Muehl Public Library and Outagamie County Home and Community Education Assoc. Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 349 N. Main St. , Seymour, WI “Rural Wit and Wisdom”

November 9, 9:00 a.m. 2nd Sat. Plymouth Art Center, Plymouth, WI. Sheboygan County Historical Research Center. “Farm Winter With Jerry Apps”

November 18, 1:00 p.m. Kiel Public Library, Kiel, WI “Wisconsin. CCC”

To learn more about country schools, read my book ONE-ROOM COUNTRY SCHOOLS.

Available for purchase from your local bookstore or buy them from the Friends of the Patterson Memorial Library in Wild Rose—a fundraiser for them. Phone: 920-622-3835 for prices and ordering.
Patterson Memorial Library
500 Division Street
Wild Rose, WI 54984
barnard@wildroselibrary.
www.wildroselibrary.org

1 comment:

Bill said...

In that school you learned to write and that is still a good thing, for us, as well as you.