Friday, September 23, 2022

TELL ME A STORY Photo by Jerry Apps

 


Those who know me are well aware of my love for stories.  I grew up hearing them.  My dad was a first-rate storyteller, so were several of our farm neighbors.  Beyond the great meals, as the neighbors gathered for threshing, silo filling, corn shredding and wood sawing, were the stories.  Told after the meals.  Told during the breaks in work. Driving by a field of shocked oats triggers for me stories about threshing days.  Corn shocks remind me of corn shredding crews.

Stories are important, well beyond their entertainment value. Stories help us recall the past while opening a window to the future.  Stories tie us to our past and at the same time provide a platform for facing the future. By telling our stories, we are coming out from behind ourselves and letting other people know a little more about who we are.

The pictures formed in our minds when we hear a story are often far better than those we see in movies or on television.  As a kid, I listened to radio programs: The Lone Ranger, Terry and the Pirates, Captain Midnight, Jack Armstrong and others.  The stories tapped into my imagination. I lived the stories right along with the radio actors who were telling them.  I saw the pictures in my mind as clearly as if they were printed on paper.

A story is more than words.   A story can evoke feelings in people they have thought long forgotten, bringing tears and laughter, sometimes in the same paragraph.  Our stories make us different from one another yet tie us all together.

Storytelling can change us forever.  Our stories can help us discover meaning in our lives without defining or describing it. Stories ground us, give us pleasure, and provide a sense of purpose in our lives.  Stories help make us human.  When we forget our stories, we forget who we are.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: Tell me a story.

WHERE TO BUY MY BOOKS

  Buy from your local bookstore, or buy online from the Wisconsin Historical Society bookstore, https://shop.wisconsinhistory.org/books, bookshop.org, or purchase from the Friends of the Patterson Memorial Library in Wild Rose—a fundraiser for them. Phone: 920-622-3835 for prices and ordering, or contact the librarian: barnard@wildroselibrary.
Patterson Memorial Library
500 Division Street
Wild Rose, WI 54984.
www.wildroselibrary.org

If you live in the western part of the state, stop at Ruth’s home town, Westby, visit Dregne’s.  and look at their great selection of my books. Order a book from them by calling 1-877-634-4414. They will be happy to help you.  If you live in northcentral Wisconsin, stop at the Janke bookstore in Wausau (phone 715-845-9648).  They also have a large selection of my books. 

 

 

No comments: