Friday, March 26, 2021

Thunderstorm


                                             Photo by Steve Apps

It was a rumble, almost not perceptible.  But I knew what it was because the dark clouds on the horizon gave it away, as did the flash of lightning that cuts across the “black as night” clouds.  A thunderstorm coming my way.  Coming to freshen the soil with much-needed rain.  Coming to remind me that nature still has massive power of its own, beyond anything any of us humans can mess with.  As some have tried.

I am not fearful of thunderstorms, as many are.  I know not to sit under a tall tree when a thunderstorm is on its way. I have seen what a lightning strike can do to a tall tree, sometimes ripping it apart from top to bottom. I know why lightning rods are important on barn roofs.

 Growing up in the sand country of central Wisconsin, and continuing to own a farm there, I know what dry weather is like.  I know what happens when it doesn’t rain for days. When the grass turns brown, the corn leaves roll, and every living creature waits.  Waits for rain. And I continue to celebrate and enjoy watching a thunderstorm boiling up in the west, with zagged bolts of lightning slices across a menacing sky.  I enjoy the noise and the fireworks, for I know that rain is on its way.   Much needed rain.

After the storm clouds move off to the east, and the blast of thunder becomes a low rumble, I go outside and smell the freshness of the land once more washed with rain.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: For those of us close to the land, thunderstorms mean rain.

WHERE TO BUY MY BOOKS:

To purchase Jerry’s books, including, Never Curse the Rain, go to your local bookstore, order online from bookshop.org, or from the Friends of the Patterson Memorial Library in Wild Rose—a fundraiser for them. Phone: 920-622-3835 for prices and ordering.
Patterson Memorial Library
500 Division Street
Wild Rose, WI 54984
barnard@wildroselibrary.
www.wildroselibrary.org

If you live in the western part of the state, stop at Ruth’s home town, Westby and visit Dregne’s.  and look at their great selection of my books, including my new ones, or order a book by calling them at 1-877-634-4414. They will be happy to help you.

 

No comments: