Friday, March 05, 2021

Watching and Listening to the Snow Melt

 





I was talking to a fellow old-timer the other day and I asked him what he was doing.  His answer: “I’m watching the snow melt.” I had to fess up that I’d been doing that as well.

As a kid, I always looked forward to the first snow in fall, and I was just as excited to see the snowmelt, even though it meant a lot of spring work was just on the horizon. Beyond watching the snow melt, I liked to listen to it melt.  A 20-acre field east of the farmstead on the home farm had a rather steep hill with a gulley.  Over the years, dad filled the gulley with stones that he picked from the field. The most beautiful sound was that of meltwater gurgling over the stones as the snow melted. I would often walk out there to hear what I called “Nature’s music.”

Each spring as the snow melted, it created a little stream of meltwater that ran between the house and the barn.  One year, Dad made a little waterwheel out of a cedar shingle. He placed it on the meltwater stream.  In the morning, the little waterwheel didn’t move.  By mid-afternoon on a warm, sunny day, the little waterwheel would turn rapidly, making a “flip, flip” sound that I remember so well to this day. We knew that when the waterwheel stropped turning for good, that spring work was just around the corner.

Oh, the smells, sights and sounds of spring.  Nature in all its glory.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: What fun it is to both watch and listen to the snow melt.

 

WHERE TO BUY MY BOOKS:

To purchase Jerry’s books, go to your local bookstore, order online from bookshop.org, or from the Friends of the Patterson Memorial Library in Wild Rose—a fundraiser for them. Phone: 920-622-3835 for prices and ordering.
Patterson Memorial Library
500 Division Street
Wild Rose, WI 54984
barnard@wildroselibrary.
www.wildroselibrary.org

If you live in the western part of the state, stop at Ruth’s home town, Westby and visit Dregne’s.  and look at their great selection of my books, including my new ones, or order a book by calling them at 1-877-634-4414. They will be happy to help you.

 


1 comment:

Don R said...


Jerry,

My Dad used to say, "Snowfall in December is beautiful.....Snowfall in April is ugly. And, once again, he was right.