Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rabbit War

I thought we had an agreement. Twenty years ago when I moved my garden to its present location the rabbits and I worked out an accommodation. At least I thought we had. I would leave wild and untouched an area just west of the cabin where the bunnies had a stone pile for security and easy access to a two-acre grassy field for their grazing.

In return the rabbits would forever leave my garden alone. No chewing on my fresh lettuce, my cabbages and all the other rabbit-tasty vegetables.

But last week the bunnies broke the agreement. They chewed off four rows of beans. Almost to the ground. The hungry little buggers feasted on my hoped for winter bean supply.

Broken agreements lead to war. And war it was. I drove to Waupaca and bought a spray bottle of “Liquid Fence.” A rotten egg smelling deer and rabbit repellent with a 100 percent money back guarantee, although I’d rather have my beans back.

I sprayed my badly injured little bean plants, holding my nose for the smell was as advertised. I am waiting for the lead rabbit negotiator to contact me and see if a cease fire is in order, or if I must look for further attacks. In this gardening business, if it isn’t one thing it’s another. I’m getting a little long in the tooth to be fighting a war.

THE OLD TIMER SAYS: When you make an agreement, best to have it in writing.

UPCOMING WRITING WORKSHOPS:

Writing From Your Life. The Clearing, Ellison Bay, WI. August 2-8.

Writing From Your Life. Sheboygan Public Library, August 23, a.m.

Writing From Your Life. The Clearing, Ellison Bay, WI. October 17. a.m.. & p.m.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

June 30, 7:00 p.m. Prairie du Sac Library. Old Farm.

July 16, 2:00 p.m. Wisconsin Historical Society Museum, Casper Jaggi, Master Cheese Maker.

August 15. Creekside Books, Cedarburg. 12-3:00. Old Farm.

August 16. Railroad Days, Stonefield Village, Cassville.

1 comment:

Jeanne Engle said...

I'm not sure if it's rabbits or some other critter, but tulips get attacked in my garden. I don't seem to get the Liquid Fence sprayed soon enough to save these flowers so I've decided that I'll just plant more lilies since the critters don't seem to like them.